[lbo-talk] the Iraqi resistance at work

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Mon Nov 20 10:11:13 PST 2006

At around 20/11/06 12:25 pm, Doug Henwood wrote:
> On Nov 20, 2006, at 10:44 AM, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
>> It looks to me that it's a case of avoiding _only_ our
>> own responsibility
>
> This is so ludicrous I have a hard time believing you're serious.
> Someone suggested to me offlist yesterday that you don't write to
> convince people anymore, just to shock. He may be right. At least Ann
> Coulter attacks her ideological enemies, though.

While I have nothing to say about your (DH) internal mental states, I think Yoshie is spot on about responsibility and the collective _us_ avoiding, ignoring, denying or downplaying it. Strangely enough, I made the very same point to Yoshie and CB in response to Yoshie's "Bring them home" slogan, in a thread from a while ago.

Yoshie's basic point (as I see it) is so simple that it seems to require no convincing. We as fairly free people have a large set of options to exercise in order to control the activities of our governments and the people who run it. It should be needless to say that this is a general claim which admits to outliers (there may be US liberals or non-liberals who are incapable of acts of protest, or who may already have done all they can, etc).

--ravi