[lbo-talk] the Iraqi resistance at work

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Nov 20 10:49:04 PST 2006

ravi wrote:

> Yoshie's basic point (as I see it) is so simple that it seems to require
> no convincing. We as fairly free people have a large set of options to
> exercise in order to control the activities of our governments and the
> people who run it.

This is true, but my earlier argument holds, because blaming or ascribing responsibility simply doesn't generate political power. I'm willing to hold Doug responsible for fucking up late November discussion of the war on LBO (leaving aside whether or not what is said on lbo makes any difference or not), but I see nothing to be gained by holding "the american people" or the "western left" or any other general category (even the ABBs or the Committees of Correspndence or UFPJ, as much as I am pissed off at those groups) responsible. In fact, discussion of "respnsibility" provides an opening for such nonsense as Doug's weird desire to have explained the twitch of one little molecule in the midst of a volcanic eruption.

Carrol