[lbo-talk] Rangle Is An Idiot

Charles A. Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Mon Nov 20 10:50:46 PST 2006

``...is he serious?'' Doug

---------

I think so. He's made the same proposal since the Clinton administration, for more or less the same reason. He thinks the draft is democratic check over the government to wage war.

I think it is stupid. The way to stop wars is to vote against the necessary support legislation after the sixty day period or whatever is the current limit on emergency actions.

At this point it would take probably three to five years to get the services back into shape to take draftees since there would be thousands of them a month. The paper work alone would probably completely fuck up the army. They no longer have the infrastructure to support a mass army. They barely had the facilities for Vietnam. The Oakland intransit Personnel Center had to be extended into the sprawling warehouse sections of the base---where the construction company I worked for was retro-fitting material storage warehouse space for human occupation--minimum necessities, like plumbing, electricity, and sleeping bays. Every morning we arrived there were industrial garbage containers on fire and all the warehouse `barracks' were under armed MP guard units.

It might be a great way to completely break down the US military. Just start pumping say 10-20k live, pissed off, determined to fuck off people a month into the machine and watch it fall apart.

I'd be very surprised if upper echelon military would want to re-instate the draft. It really was a nightmare for them.

CG '