[lbo-talk] Re: They call it education...

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Mon Nov 20 18:06:37 PST 2006

Joanna wrote,

> I'm just saying that taking it for what it is, the public education system
> is a collosal
> waste of human energy and a great evil.

It's a colossal effort, so of course there's plenty of waste (I'm sure there are plenty of good ideas as to how we should minimize it; I'd love to hear what you might have in mind). Teachers for the most part are pretty good people. It'd be nice if we could do away with grades, at least K-8, and ensure that our kids learn a bit more before they leave, but those goals might be in some tension--I suspect that the "hunger and the energy for learning" are neither as universal nor as independent from external incentive as you seem to think. Have you ever actually worked in a public school, Joanna? Personally know anyone who has?

-- Luke