[lbo-talk] Qaeda at Work (was the Iraqi resistance at work)

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 13:08:42 PST 2006

> On Nov 21, 2006, at 3:08 PM, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
> > Neither you nor Lenin nor anyone here is part of "the resistance," nor
> > can we be. We are out of the picture. Let Iran, Syria, and the Mahdi
> > Army solve the problem, for it is _their_ problem.
>
> Nothing human is alien to me, the man said.

Don't be a surrealist. The international jihadists of the Al Qaeda tendency are alien to you, me, Lenin, all of us here, and vice versa. If we went to Iraq -- which we won't! -- we'd be lucky if one of them didn't catch us and behead us, or if slightly less demented Islamists than Qaeda types didn't kidnap us and demand huge ransoms for us, so they could go on fighting, who knows whom. We are too soft for Iraq -- that is clear.

Let the Islamists of Iran, the dictator of Syria, and Moktada al-Sadr and his likes take care of the problem we are not equipped to handle. They know how to kill and otherwise neutralize deranged terrorists who dream of the 7th century.

I'd rather go to Iran and do people-watching at Vanak Square in the affluent northern Tehran -- that's where chic cafes and nice shops are, smartly dressed young people -- many of them secular and liberal and perhaps English-speaking -- hang out, and those who are so inclined can pick up hustlers and prostitutes (or so my Persian teacher -- such a darling! -- tells me). :-> -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>