[lbo-talk] Qaeda at Work (was the Iraqi resistance at work)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Nov 21 13:32:34 PST 2006

On Nov 21, 2006, at 4:08 PM, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> On 11/21/06, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Nov 21, 2006, at 3:08 PM, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>>
>> > Neither you nor Lenin nor anyone here is part of "the
>> resistance," nor
>> > can we be. We are out of the picture. Let Iran, Syria, and the
>> Mahdi
>> > Army solve the problem, for it is _their_ problem.
>>
>> Nothing human is alien to me, the man said.
>
> Don't be a surrealist. The international jihadists of the Al Qaeda
> tendency are alien to you, me, Lenin, all of us here, and vice versa.

No kidding. But I'm reacting to that argument that you and especially Carrol make - if it doesn't immediately concern us, we should shut up. Though Carrol doesn't ever apply that idiotic law to you.

> I'd rather go to Iran and do people-watching at Vanak Square in the
> affluent northern Tehran -- that's where chic cafes and nice shops
> are, smartly dressed young people -- many of them secular and liberal
> and perhaps English-speaking -- hang out, and those who are so
> inclined can pick up hustlers and prostitutes (or so my Persian
> teacher -- such a darling! -- tells me). :->

Those aren't Islamists. Many of them are, in some sense, Moslems, but they're not theocrats, and would dearly like to see the theocrats deposed. Aren't those the very people you were recently denouncing while celebrating Ahmadinejad, who doesn't have much in common with the chic and smartly dressed liberals.

Doug