[lbo-talk] They call it education...

W. Kiernan wkiernan at ij.net
Tue Nov 21 18:32:09 PST 2006

joanna wrote:

> I am not saying that home schooling is better nor am

> I saying that it used to be better. I'm just saying

> that taking it for what it is, the public education

> system is a collosal waste of human energy and a great

> evil.

I can't let this go by without dissent. Even the shitty hick-state public schools I attended forty years ago were a Hell of a lot better than _nothing_; and realistically, nothing, not utopia, was the alternative. I still remember several good teachers and the whole miserable time. I always had access to a library. And today, the public schools my kids have attended here in Tampa - in Tampa, deep down in the brain-dead Southland! - have not been just adequate but to my surprise actually pretty decent.

Of course there is that creepy police state thing they've got going on in all the schools these days but you see that everywhere, have you been in an airport lately? True, it's not security but drama, but it's _armed_ drama.

I wish I could have gone to public schools as good as my kids have. The credit goes to the teachers and their union, because Heaven knows between those loathsome cheap-ass Chamber-of-Commerce types and those disgusting God freaks we've got so many of down here in Florida, they'd definitely have shut the whole works down if not for the teachers's consistent, well-organized opposition.

Yours WDK - WKiernan at ij.net