[lbo-talk] Max's annual thanksgiving story

Gar Lipow the.typo.boy at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 18:54:13 PST 2006

still think this is the perfect thanksgiving story. We read it annually at our house. (But then again we're weird.)

========================================= http://maxspeak.org/mt/archives/002696.html

November 22, 2006 THE STORY OF THANKSGIVING The Puritan Christian fundamentalists, of whom the Pilgrims were a subgroup, were murderous, treacherous swine who made a treaty with the indigenous people around Plymouth until they had enough forces to wipe them out. This they later did with smallpox and guns, unless they were able to sell them into slavery, all of course for the greater glory of Jesus Christ.

Wait a minute. That wasn't quite right. Let's try it again. Here's how it goes. The Puritans in England were subject to religious persecution, lo unto death. They needed a homeland where they could survive as a people and live in peace. They tried to settle in the Netherlands, but it proved inhospitable. Only the possibility of the New World seemed to beckon. It was a land without a people, and they were a people without a land.

-- Please note: Personal messages should be sent to [garlpublic] followed by the [at] sign with isp of [comcast], then [dot] and then an extension of net