[lbo-talk] Article on WBAI dollar woes

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Fri Nov 24 10:09:41 PST 2006

Auguste Blanqui wrote:
> Not that a great a piece, but does contain some info on the station
> finances. The author claims to have seen the listenership figures, says
> they're really down, but doesn't get much more precise than that. (Do
> they share that with you, Doug?)
>
> I have to admit I don't listen at all other than for Doug, the FAIR
> show, and Democracy Now. I think the station would do so much better
> with more shows like that. Seems like everything outside of them is
> increasingly on that HIV/AIDS conspiracy-to-9/11 Truth-to vulgar
> nationalism continuum.

I think I've only heard a few hours of WBAI, probably when I was in NYC for the 2004 RNC protests.

If you want to listen to an independent radio station that does it right, try listening to KKFI (http://www.kkfi.org/) which is a 100,000 watt indie station here in Kansas City. It has Democracy Now, FAIR, the Heartland Labor Forum, an hour with local atheists, and music from across the spectrum.

Speaking of the 9/11 conspiracy movement, our local newsweekly, the Pitch, just published an article about local 9/11 activists:

Bush Blew up the Twin Towers http://www.pitch.com/Issues/2006-11-23/news/feature.html

Chuck