[lbo-talk] Re: Kael (was Edelstein on Altman)

Greg Boozell gboozell at juno.com
Sat Nov 25 09:24:54 PST 2006

Hi Brian -

Thanks for sharing your insights on this thread. While I think you have a point, the upside of the popular appeal of movies is that the medium tends to resist becoming the insider's game that visual art has become - terrain populated mostly by academics and wealthy patrons.

Much visual art criticism seems preoccupied with pointless navel-gazing or is set on constituting new forms of exoticism to titillate museum curators and rich collectors. While its true that a few people are "willing to admit the advantages offered

by a trained ear in music or a trained eye in painting", most people are completely indifferent when it comes to visual art.

BTW - would you recommend some critics and/or texts on Robert Altman's work?

Thanks,

Greg Boozell gboozell at juno.com