[lbo-talk] Qaeda at Work (was the Iraqi resistance at work)

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 25 10:42:53 PST 2006

Michel Foucault, "Confronting Governments: Human Rights" (1984):

"We are just private individuals here, with no other grounds for speaking, or for speaking together, than a certain shared difficulty in what is taking place.

"Of course, we accept the obvious fact that there not much that we can do [...]. Who appointed us, then? No one. And that is precisely what constitutes our right. [...] There exists an international citizenship that has its rights, its duties, and that obliges one to speak out against every abuse of power, whoever its author, whoever its victims. After all, we are all members of the community of the governed, and thereby obliged to show mutual solidarity."

Foucault wrote it a few days before he died.

-B.