[lbo-talk] My interview with Litvinenko

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Nov 25 11:50:11 PST 2006

The doubts raised by Chris Doss and Peter Lavelle are pertinent, and in the article we did try to convey the point that a lot of what Alexander Litvinenko said was questionable. That said, I did not want to dance on his grave. Peter especially says he knows that he was not killed by the Russian security services. I think he might well be right, but I don't know.

Chris asks what my interest was, and honestly, it was tangential. I was researching a dull and worthy paper on Chechen ethnic groups in Moscow in the early 90s, and among the (admittedly febrile) London expatriates we interviewed Litvinenko about his time in the FSB. The article does not purport to be anything but Litvinenko's own version of his life. I was interviewed on Channel 4 news again tonight and will talk to Stern later on. Any advice gratefully received.