[lbo-talk] Lament for a Marketplace in Babylon

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Sat Nov 25 15:02:27 PST 2006

<http://poetryinternational.sdsu.edu/10IraqiLament.htm> Lament for a Marketplace in Babylon by Abdul-Karim al-Qasid

On this horizon reaching all the way to God are gravestones And angels weeping.

What are people waiting for? Their ship? Here it comes, borne by the deluge.

In a marketplace now frequented by money changers With beards And baggy trousers, I wonder: Who gathers the scattered limbs, Restores the hand to the child's body, And that breast to the mother, And who throws open the gates For hollow-eyed gods coming in from Babylon, With red chests, And white furious hair; I wonder: who?

On the day of March 1st In the fifth year after the second millennium A massacre Took place In Babylon.

Translated by Salaam Yousif and Brenda Hillman

-- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>