[lbo-talk] Lovecraft's fears

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 28 13:16:56 PST 2006

Hell, if I were walking along a newly risen Cyclopean island with non-Euclidean geometry, I'd be pretty freaked out too! ;)

I think HPL had a love-hate, attraction-to-sin kind of thing going on with some of these things. At the end of the Shadow Over Innsmouth, for instance, the protagonist quite happily goes off to live under the ocean with the rest of his squishy Deep One kinfolk. Love of the forbidden, or something like that, the old "questing for forbidden lore that will drive me insane" trope. And At the Mountains of Madness and the Dunwitch Horror do show moments of sympathy for their respective extraterrene beasties -- the Old Ones are refered to as being "after all men" after being ripped apart by the Shoggoth in the former, and Yog-Sothoth's barn-sized progeny is heard plaintively calling to its father for help in the latter.

Man do I love Lovecraft.

The racism really is jarring to the modern ear, however, perhaps even by the standards of the time.

<http://www.williamgibsonbooks.com/blog/2006_10_01_archive.asp#115985691315825574>