[lbo-talk] Lovecraft's fears

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 28 13:59:24 PST 2006

About the fear of all of the stuff in his works (fish, architecture, etc.) -- well, horror writers make the ordinary into fearful, terrible things, right? It's horror, after all.

-B.

---

Sure, perhaps in 70 years people will be writing about how Stephen King had an irrational fear of classic automobiles and pet cemetaries... (By the way, am I imagining things or has every King book in the past 15 years had a crap ending? The Gunslinger stuff has anticlimax after anticlimax.) Well Dean Kootnz DOES have pretty obvious right-wing fixations, but Dean Koontz sucks (although I have read many of his books, heh heh -- it's funny how spending all my time reading Russian makes me want to read stuff in English that takes no thought whatsoever).

Incidentally Lovecraft has quite a following in Russia. I have some of his stuff in translation -- 'Zov Ktulu,", or the Call of Cthulhu. He's got quite a presence on the Russian Internet.

I read a book of his correspondence with a child admirer when I was about 12 -- it made an impression on me at the time, but can't remember any of it, alas.

I was really pissed that nobody has yet named an asteroid or a comet Yuggoth. Come on people, are all astronomers illiterate? ;)