[lbo-talk] Re: John Ford (was: Kael)

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Tue Nov 28 14:35:07 PST 2006

> Even where one 'mind' makes the final decisions of what goes
in and what goes out (as with a director supervising the cutting editor) if parts of it could _only_ have been created by others, and could not exist without the independent action of others, then there is just no way that one can usefully see it as the "expression" of the "genius" of one mind.

Why? A person can acknowledge the contribution made by a participant, but at the same time understand that the particpant's contribution was part of a larger design created by someone else.

> I don't remember the name of the actor now, but the big man who
appeared in many of Chaplin's films, including The Gold Rush, contributed something to the essence of those films, even though Chaplin directed and had the core role. Another actor would have created a different film.

Exactly, and Chaplin (who also wrote, produced, edited and often scored his own films) chose him for the role in order to create the film that he did, in the same way that a painter picks a particular shade of blue for a painting.

> Both what Brian writes and some other film criticism I have read give me
the sneaking suspicion that discussion of mise en scene has much more to do with the (alleged) soul of the director than with the film itself as a finished product.

How so? What specifically gives you that impression? And what other critics do you get that sense from?

Brian