[lbo-talk] Re: Islamophobia

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 18:37:06 PST 2006

On 11/29/06, Jerry Monaco <monacojerry at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/29/06, Yoshie Furuhashi <critical.montages at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Islamophobia is compounded by Doug's acceptance of the empire relative
> > to the Islamic republic. He's softer on the US government than the
> > Iranian government, though the former is responsible for far more
> > death, poverty, and so on in the world than the latter.
>
> Yoshie, I don't think this is quite fair.
>
> My judgment is that I am more responsible for what the U.S. does in Iran
> than I am for what the Iran rulers do in Iran, so in this sense I do not
> "accept" my rulers, and I neither "accept" or "reject" Iran's rulers. I
> don't think Doug would put this in such a "moralistic" way, but he has
> showed no preference or love for the U.S. empire.

It's clear that Doug prefers -- and he thinks we should all prefer -- the left wing of the American power elite to the Iranian leaders, Hizballah leaders, Hamas leaders, and the like:

> Have you taken a look at Bernie Sanders' voting records?

You're willing to make all kinds of excuses for a regime that stones adulterous women, yet you find Bernie Sanders, who is about as good a mainstream politician as you can find in the US, too right wing? That's really fucked up.

Doug

<http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/pipermail/lbo-talk/Week-of-Mon-20061106/022092.html></blockquote>

In my view, the US power elite, including those who are left-wing Democrats and Sanders, are a problem for the rest of the world in a way that the Iranian, Hizballah, and Hamas leaders and others like them are not, by virtue of Washington's commitment to US hegemony. -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>