[lbo-talk] Ahmadinejad's letter to Americans

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Nov 30 10:34:45 PST 2006

Dennis quoted:

"What have the Zionists done for the American people that the US administration considers itself obliged to blindly support these infamous aggressors? Is it not because they have imposed themselves on a substantial portion of the banking, financial, cultural and media sectors?"

[WS:] I am not "American people" so I cannot speak with authority, but could it simply be a matter of preferences and choices that do not fit Mr. Ahmadinejad's conceptual framework? That is to say, it could be that people outside Iran, American or otherwise, prefer what Israel stands for (its shortcomings notwithstanding) to what Islamic countries stand for, and express that preference in their acceptance or rejection of political solutions.

This seems to exemplify a perennial dilemma of ideologues of various stripes and sorts - that what and how people actually think usually do not conform to what these luminaries think people should be thinking.

Wojtek