Curiosity Re: [lbo-talk] NYT editorial on terror bill

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Oct 1 07:45:37 PDT 2006

On Oct 1, 2006, at 9:44 AM, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

>> That's an editorial, not a news story. It's the news coverage that
>> really influences other publications & broadcast outlets. As do the
>> columnists & op-ed contributions. Get an op-ed in the Times, and
>> you'll be booked on TV & radio programs by early afternoon.
>
> Again, where's your empirical evidence for the New York Times'
> influence on the power elites or the general public or both, unless
> it's a matter of faith?

Like I've said about five times now, the NYT has a tremendous influence over other media. My evidence is that I work in the field and talk to lots of media types almost every day. Power elites read it - or at least the people who are paid to think for the powerful read it. I don't know why you're being so obtuse about this.

Doug