Curiosity Re: [lbo-talk] NYT editorial on terror bill

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Sun Oct 1 08:02:45 PDT 2006

> On Oct 1, 2006, at 9:44 AM, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
> >> That's an editorial, not a news story. It's the news coverage that
> >> really influences other publications & broadcast outlets. As do the
> >> columnists & op-ed contributions. Get an op-ed in the Times, and
> >> you'll be booked on TV & radio programs by early afternoon.
> >
> > Again, where's your empirical evidence for the New York Times'
> > influence on the power elites or the general public or both, unless
> > it's a matter of faith?
>
> Like I've said about five times now, the NYT has a tremendous
> influence over other media. My evidence is that I work in the field
> and talk to lots of media types almost every day. Power elites read
> it - or at least the people who are paid to think for the powerful
> read it. I don't know why you're being so obtuse about this.

The power elites' aids read the NYT for the elites, and they are surely acquainted with the NYT's news coverage and opinions (columns, op-eds, and editorials). But are they _swayed_ by them in policy-making? One issue on which the NYT, as well as the Washington Post, has been very good, both in the news and opinion departments, is coverage of detainees in Guantanamo and elsewhere, but the USG (both the White House and Congress) doesn't follow what the NYT and the WP report on at all.

The only branch of the USG that agrees with the NYT and the WP is the Supreme Court. -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>