[lbo-talk] Wanted: A Major Division in the US Power EliteandRuling Class (was Curiosity)

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Sun Oct 1 19:29:45 PDT 2006

Yoshie write:

> No, I didn't say that. I said the Iranian and Nicaraguan
> revolutionaries were beneficiaries -- rather than causes -- of the US
> power elite and ruling class confusion in the wake of the Vietnam War
> and uprisings on the home front.

I misunderstood your point. Of course, you can also say the Iranians, North Koreans, and Latin Americans have similarly benefited from the US being tied down in Iraq.

> The Iraq War has not been quite like the Vietnam War in its impacts on
> the home front, nor do we have social movements comparable to Civil
> Rights, Black Power, Chicano, and other movements during the Vietnam
> War era.

That's true of the general population which hasn't marched because the casualties haven't been nearly as high and there is no draft, but the political and military establishment has never been as divided over foreign policy since Vietnam - Woodward's book providing the latest confrmation.