[lbo-talk] art's objectivity (tangent on faulkner thread)

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 12:12:25 PDT 2006

On 10/3/06, Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Jerry Monaco <monacojerry at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > Chris,
> >
> > Both Tolstoy and Joyce could write well and
> > elegantly. Dostoevsky wrote
> > with hammer and fist.
>
> Not in Russian he doesn't. Why do you hate good art,
> Jerry? ;)
>
> And it is exactly here, over this question of how Dostoevsky reads in
Russian that I picked up the Wilson-Nabokov letters, where the non-Russian Wilson advocated that Dostoevsky read well in Russian and the Russian Nabokov told Wilson that his (Wilson's and F.D.) Russian was atrocious.

But I was as much thinking about the architecture of the novel as a whole as the line by line sentence construction.

You know, you ask me why I hate good art and it is kind of funny because I once had the same reaction to some of Bert Brecht's opinions. I mean Brecht really hated Beethoven and I think he found much of German art pretentious.

I don't know, maybe in some respects I do hate good art with some of the same reactions that Brecht had to Beethoven, who I love.

Jerry -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20061003/0c9a7c6d/attachment.htm>