[lbo-talk] good night, Ned

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 22:44:05 PDT 2006

On 10/5/06, Marvin Gandall <marvgandall at videotron.ca> wrote:
> I'm startled to learn you do not oppose Democrats on principle, either. Your
> denunciation of leftists who have supported the DP ("ABB'ers") would
> seem to at least "approximate" this position.

At this point, discussion is all theoretical, since we don't have the capacity to organize the kind of electoral pact that I suggested as one way of making use of electoral politics, but, for such a pact, the policy of Anybody But Republicans, i.e., supporting _any_ Democrat, won't do. The hypothetical electoral pact is to be created by left-wing Democrats and third-party advocates on the Left, for the purpose of electing candidates on the Left, running in Democratic primaries where that makes sense, running on Green and other tickets where that works best, or, more modestly, using such electoral campaigns to keep social movements alive during election years. Where the line between Democrats who are worth campaigning for and Democrats who aren't has to be determined democratically.

Besides, the strongest obstacle to such a pact is not third-party advocates but right-wing Democrats -- like Joe Lieberman -- who just decide to run as independents if they lose in primaries and can hope to get elected by right-wing votes in general elections (as they probably have been all along). -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>