[lbo-talk] good night, Ned

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Fri Oct 6 10:13:31 PDT 2006

Eric wrote:

> I think I may have misread you. I thought you were saying that antiwar
> leftists must support *either* the DP *or* the Greens...

Antiwar leftists are found in both parties. They should find ways to cooperate with each other and against those who are opposed to such cooperation.

> This sounds like you are saying that the antiwar movement's fortunes rise
> and fall with the fortunes of candidates for elected office. It's this
> that I disagree with.

Movements in general advance when they score victories and fall back after defeats, both inside and outside of the electoral arena. In the context of US politics, a DP victory is interpreted as a victory for the antiwar movement by its supporters as well as its opponents; a Bush victory as a defeat. In this sense, the morale of the antiwar movement - and therefore its "fortunes" - are indirectly tied to the outcome of primary and electoral contests which are widely seen as referenda on the war.