[lbo-talk] good night, Ned

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 12:34:40 PDT 2006

On 10/6/06, Marvin Gandall <marvgandall at videotron.ca> wrote:
> > This sounds like you are saying that the antiwar movement's fortunes rise
> > and fall with the fortunes of candidates for elected office. It's this
> > that I disagree with.
>
> Movements in general advance when they score victories and fall back after
> defeats, both inside and outside of the electoral arena. In the context of
> US politics, a DP victory is interpreted as a victory for the antiwar
> movement by its supporters as well as its opponents; a Bush victory as a
> defeat. In this sense, the morale of the antiwar movement - and therefore
> its "fortunes" - are indirectly tied to the outcome of primary and electoral
> contests which are widely seen as referenda on the war.

Here, nuances matter. There is a difference between the ideas and feelings of people who said Anybody But Bush and supported Kerry, regardless of his stand on the war, on one hand and those of people who said, Lieberman is for the war, so we'll run our own anti-war candidate, and have campaigned for Lamont. The former ideas and feelings didn't offer any opening for consideration of the kind of tactic I suggested, but the latter presents an opening, not a practical opening yet, but an opening for discussion.

I'm not committed to the tactic I floated myself either, but it at least serves as a point of departure for discussion, and discussion is what we should have when the level of activities is low, like now.

On 10/6/06, Eric <rayrena at realtime.net> wrote:
> I think only unobtainable levels of opposition to the war
> would make it end.

I agree with you, but, in the meantime, we can still undertake capacity-building projects, of which electoral campaigns are but one sort, or, even more important, we can at least begin to have serious discussion about our ends and means, what we aim for and what we can do with what we have to move in that direction. -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>