[lbo-talk] Scientism

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Fri Oct 6 10:16:51 PDT 2006

At around 6/10/06 12:37 pm, joanna wrote:

> Yes, yes, yes! Doubly underline "typically non-scientist" because anyone
> who has done real science knows
> 1) that it's mostly shades of gray and that even though 2) it uses
> numbers, that does not give it the "certitude" of 1 + 1 = 2, because the
> whole point is that measurements and the application of numbers to real
> world problems need further interpretation and this interpretation is
> usually governed by unquestioned and unacknowledged cultural assumptions
> like "The Male is the Universal Subject," "There is a Universal
> Subject," "The Observer Is Netural," etc.

Another interesting thing for me, triggered by Boddi Satva's (the enlightened body? ;-)) offering 1+1=2 as an example, is how it is often at those points where mathematics meets the real world that things get the weirdest (perhaps this is why mathematicians exhibit a lot more humility and wonder at the world) ... the primes book I am reading reminded me that it is primes, this weird untamed sequence of numbers, and complex numbers (this even stranger beast that defies comprehension), and random irrational ratios or series (pi, the golden ratio, etc) that find expression in the physical world and address some of our most interesting questions about it, more than the ordered universe of the well-behaved numbers.

> Or, the command to first world mothers that babies be fed no more than
> once every four hours. A commandment that was often followed, with the
> baby crying in one room, and the mother crying in the other, until the
> clock released them.

Have you ever read or heard of this thing called the Ferber Method?

--ravi

-- Support something better than yourself: ;-) PeTA: http://www.peta.org/ GreenPeace: http://www.greenpeace.org/ If you have nothing better to do: http://platosbeard.org/