[lbo-talk] Dems & the proletariat

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Oct 6 14:32:46 PDT 2006

On Oct 6, 2006, at 5:21 PM, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

>> As I've pointed out many times before, by almost any measure
>> (employment, wages, GDP, stock market), the economy has done better
>> under Dem presidents than Rep ones since WW2. The only exception is
>> that Reps are better for disinflation and the bond market.
>
> What if we compared them since the mid-1970s? After all, 1945-1973
> and 1974-Present belong to different eras of accumulation. How do
> Democrats and Republicans compare in the neoliberal era?

1973 wasn't yet the neoliberal era - it was the beginning of the terminal crisis of the Keynesian system. The neolib era really begins with Volcker and Reagan in the US. So of the four neolib presidents - Reagan, Bush I, Clinton, Bush II - Clinton comes out unambiguously on top. Unlike all the others, real wages rose during his presidency, and he has an edge on GDP growth over Reagan (3.6% vs. 3.2%). Employment growth too.

Doug