[lbo-talk] Science wars -- a new twist

boddi satva lbo.boddi at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 19:14:00 PDT 2006

It actually shows a very interesting thing - something John Hodgman (writer, humorist, guy who Apple hired to play the PC in the commercials) deals with in a very humorous way in his book (The Areas of my Expertise) and Daily Show appearances - that "expertise" is a product of language.

Ideally, expert-sounding language is the icing on a large cake of primary knowledge, but expertise can be built the other way as well. Collins is suggesting that we can learn the language of a subject and then build down to the details, which should be pretty widely understood but isn't.

Boddi