[lbo-talk] good night, Ned

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Oct 6 19:44:42 PDT 2006

Michael Hoover wrote:

> theory is more fun...
>
> the endless debate, i read a book about 30 years ago,

Actually, the debate is only of any importance in years such as 1968 and 1972. The DP failed in 1968 to kill the various mass movements though they did damage them. It pretty much succeeded in 1972 in draining off the last energy from the anti-war movement. It did real damage two years ago also. Probably the nature of the war and the general political conditions (no civil rights movement; no general cultural uproar) would have made it impossible any how to build much of an anti-war movement, but the desertion of so many to ABB made the death of the movement certain. I don't know which bunch left the most bitter taste in my mouth: the Deserters of 1972 or The Deserters of 2004.

Carrol