[lbo-talk] Evangelicals Fear the Loss of Their Teenagers

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Sat Oct 7 09:22:02 PDT 2006

Steven L. Robinson wrote:
> That is exactly how the Evangelicals grow and thrive. Take a listen - if you
> have a strong stomach for BS - to Christian talk radio, like one of the
> Crawford Broadcasting outlets. From what one hears in such media, you would
> think that we live in an atheistic totalitarian dictatorship and the
> Evangelicals are a tiny, embattled persecuted minority. Some people buy it,
> a lot of people do in some places evidently. SR

This isn't anything new, of course, to American religion. When I went to a Lutheran elementary school in the 1970s, they used persecution myths to indoctrinate us. I still remember one "ethics" lesson that asked us kids if we would stick up for our religion if people were coming door-to-door killing Christians.

Yes, this is really fucked up shit.

I'm getting more interested these days in organizing a more militant atheism. It must be something about all of the fucking churches and megachurches in this town. Or all of those anti-choice, anti-stem cell research signs that have been going up in my neighborhood.

Chuck