[lbo-talk] Evangelicals Fear the Loss of Their Teenagers

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Oct 7 08:24:09 PDT 2006

"Steven L. Robinson" wrote:

> That is exactly how the Evangelicals grow and thrive. Take a listen - if you
> have a strong stomach for BS - to Christian talk radio, like one of the
> Crawford Broadcasting outlets. From what one hears in such media, you would
> think that we live in an atheistic totalitarian dictatorship and the
> Evangelicals are a tiny, embattled persecuted minority. Some people buy it,
> a lot of people do in some places evidently. SR

I can't prove this, but my impression (going back to before I was politically active) has been that this is standard in capitalist culture: majorities imagine themselves as persecuted minorities. At a time when almost _all_ published criticism of Pope was negative (1875-1920), those publishing that criticism would somehow or other situate themselves as rebels. And Milton critics in the 1950s & 1960s, when in terms of readers and courses Milton was as dominant as ever, pretended that they lived in a sea of anti-Miltonism.

Carrol