[lbo-talk] Call for Iran to act on inflation

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Oct 7 10:49:39 PDT 2006

On Oct 7, 2006, at 11:36 AM, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Here's the manufacturing share of value added for some interesting
> countries (from the World Bank, most recent year available, mostly
> 2003-4):
>
> Chile 17.62
> Iran, Islamic Rep. 10.38
> Korea, Rep. 28.74
> Low & middle income 17.04
> South Africa 19.05
> United States 14.93

Should have included these:

Saudi Arabia 10.12

Venezuela 18.09

And I should have said this is value added in manufacturing as a percent of GDP.

So, by this measure, Iran more closely resembles the reactionary theocracy of Saudi Arabia than the low/middle income "developing" countries.

I know that some oil exporters have tried industrialization with not so good results, but somebody's got to get it right someday, or they'll be lost in economic backwardness forever.

Doug