[lbo-talk] Call for Iran to act on inflation

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Sat Oct 7 12:31:39 PDT 2006

> On Oct 7, 2006, at 11:36 AM, Doug Henwood wrote:
>
> > Here's the manufacturing share of value added for some interesting
> > countries (from the World Bank, most recent year available, mostly
> > 2003-4):
> >
> > Chile 17.62
> > Iran, Islamic Rep. 10.38
> > Korea, Rep. 28.74
> > Low & middle income 17.04
> > South Africa 19.05
> > United States 14.93
>
> Should have included these:
>
> Saudi Arabia 10.12
> Venezuela 18.09
>
> And I should have said this is value added in manufacturing as a
> percent of GDP.
>
> So, by this measure, Iran more closely resembles the reactionary
> theocracy of Saudi Arabia than the low/middle income "developing"
> countries.
>
> I know that some oil exporters have tried industrialization with not
> so good results, but somebody's got to get it right someday, or
> they'll be lost in economic backwardness forever.

Here's newer stats. Venezuela does have a higher share of manufacturing, but it did so before the Bolivarian Revolution, too: 15% in 1994.

<http://devdata.worldbank.org/wdi2006/contents/Section4.htm>

Iran

1994 2004 Gross 120,404 163,445 domestic product $ millions

Agriculture 24 11 % of GDP

Industry 29 42 % of GDP

Manufacturing 12 12 % of GDP

Services 48 48 % of GDP

Saudi Arabia

1994 2004 Gross 116,778 250,557 domestic product $ millions

Agriculture 6 4 % of GDP

Industry 49 59 % of GDP

Manufacturing 9 10 % of GDP

Services 46 37 % of GDP

Venezuela

1994 2004 Gross 47,027 110,104 domestic product $ millions

Agriculture 6 5 % of GDP

Industry 61 52 % of GDP

Manufacturing 15 18 % of GDP

Services 34 44 % of GDP