[lbo-talk] good night, Ned

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sat Oct 7 15:40:13 PDT 2006

On Sat, 7 Oct 2006, Doug Henwood wrote:

> We have a set of feelings about Iraq, but no mechanism to force politicians
> to listen.

We had a movement that had that in the past? You mean the one that elected Nixon in 1968 and 1972?

> Where's the McGovern of the anti-Iraq-war movement?

You mean the guy who lost 49-1? I have no idea why no politician is stepping up to carry his mantle.

Movements change and polarize public opinion, which politicians are supposed to respond to. We're doing that part. It just doesn't seem to work like it used to.

If it ever did.

You think if we were marching more we'd get better candidates?

Michael