[lbo-talk] Letter to the theocons....

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Sun Oct 8 18:12:23 PDT 2006

Stand Against Women Stoned to Death You Apathetic Monsters Filed under: Islam, Law — Ali Eteraz @ 1:40 pm

This is a call for action to do our small part in coming to the assistance of the women in Iran who have been sentenced to death by stoning.

1. Read the background and an explanation of the punishment for stoning to death in Islamic Law.

2. Realize that crimes against chastity in Iran are a pervasive problem by going to the website of one of the leading Iranian-American activists. There you may watch a detailed 48 minute documentary about a woman executed for a crime against chastity.

3. Spread word about this rally in Rome protesting the decisions by the Iranian government.

4. Sign these two petitions which refer to the two of the seven women sentenced. Activists in the US have gotten personal confirmation that Iranian officials were influenced by petitions when they previously ordered stays of executions. The first is for a woman named Kobra. The second is for a woman named Malak.

5. Submit the following letter (or something like it) to the Supreme Iranian Leader Ayatollah Khameini at his email address (info at leader.ir OR istiftaa at wilayah.org):

Your Excellency,

May this reach you in the best of health and faith. On this day I beseech you to direct your attention to the fates of seven women of your nation who are to be executed by sangsar (stoning to death). I ask simply that you commute their sentences and disallow the use of the punishment of stoning to death in the future. Indeed, you must be aware that in 2002 your government placed a moratorium on the practice. Indeed, you must also be aware that the United Nations, which provided President Ahmedinejad the opportunity to promote the Iranian nation as one which is just and fair, has ruled that treating fornication and adultery as criminal offenses violates human rights laws. In fact, stoning these women to death would breach Iran’s committment under article 6(2) of the International Covenent on Civil and Political Rights. Indeed, you must be aware, as the Vilayet e Faqih, that the Quran extols “God is the Forgiving, the Loving.” (85:14). Indeed, you must be aware, as the

Foremost Jurist, that the punishment for stoning to death does not exist in the Quran and is part of the Shariah via a hadith cited on the authority of Omar, the second Caliph. Iran is a great nation and many in the West wish for friendly and peaceful relationships with it, and the Muslim world at large, as equals. However, we as friends of the Iranian People do not wish the Nation of Iran of to violate the human rights norms with which the rest of the world abides. We ask that you not permit your citizens to be stoned to death. We further ask that you call for a halt for all future stonings. Finally, we ask that you grant your Minister of Justice, His Excellency, Ayatollah Shahroudi, the power to commute death sentences to life imprisonment.

A Friend of Iran (Sign Your Name)

Read "Penguins in Bondage": http://happystiletto.blogspot.com/

--------------------------------- Want to be your own boss? Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business. -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20061008/57a56864/attachment.htm>