[lbo-talk] Re: RSF on Press Freedom

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Sun Oct 8 18:56:55 PDT 2006

On 10/8/06, Michael Givel <mgivel at earthlink.net> wrote:
> On the other hand, it is hard to fudge statistics of assassinations of
> journalists like just occurred in Russia.
>
> By the way, as I read the table on Worldwide Press Freedom by RSF indicating
> that the "United States In Iraq" was listed as: 137 out of 167 while Iraq
> was listed as: 157 out of 167, see:
> http://www.rsf.org/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=554 Neither of these seem like
> a glowing testimony by RSF to freedom of press, regardless of funding
> sources.

It's not so much fudging of statistics as the fact that the ranking makes no sense based on the numbers of deaths and detentions that RSF lists, whether the numbers are regarded as absolute or relative to population sizes. -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>