[lbo-talk] Re: Reporter's death fuels fear for Russia media freedom

Michael Givel mgivel at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 9 12:11:58 PDT 2006

Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 13:44:03 -0400 From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Re: Reporter's death fuels fear for Russia

media freedom To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Message-ID: <F7A282BE-9A84-457C-92B0-DB42CC6D7688 at panix.com> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=WINDOWS-1252; delsp=yes;

format=flowed

On Oct 9, 2006, at 12:52 PM, Michael Givel wrote:

> Actually, from January 1, 1992—August 15, 2006, see: http://
> www.cpj.org/killed/killed_archives/stats.html, there were 42
> journalists murdered in Russia. According to the Committee to
> Protect Journalists from 1992 to 1999 28 were killed in Russia
> from the following confirmed sources below.

How many of those made the front page of the NYT? I don't remember any. Yeltsin committed massive vote fraud, and the NYT wrote not a word. In fact, someone from the Times told me "there was no story there." But Yeltsin was a pliable guy. Putin is not. Therefore he is bad.

Doug *************** Interesting question.

Here is my short search of the NY Times archives on stories related to assassinated journalists in Russia in the 1990s:

Threatened by Russian Mob, Journalist Pushes Back March 5, 1999, Friday By BLAINE HARDEN (NYT); Metropolitan Desk Late Edition - Final, Section B, Page 1, Column 3, 1344 words

Russian Politician Sues U.S. Magazine for Libel February 13, 1997, Thursday By MICHAEL R. GORDON (NYT); Foreign Desk Late Edition - Final, Section A, Page 4, Column 4, 422 words

Spanish Journalist Didn't Merit Post;In Russia, Reprisals July 22, 1996, Monday (NYT); Editorial Desk Late Edition - Final, Section A, Page 18, Column 6, 231 words

In Russia's Fast-Developing Television, New Forces for Political Pluralism March 5, 1995, Sunday By STEVEN ERLANGER, (Special to The New York Times); Foreign Desk Late Edition - Final, Section 1, Page 6, Column 1, 1513 words

Celebrity's Killing Stirs Talk of Intrigue in Russia March 3, 1995, Friday By ALESSANDRA STANLEY, (Special to The New York Times); Foreign Desk Late Edition - Final, Section A, Page 8, Column 1, 1224 words

Russian Journalist Is Slain; Profits May Be the Motive March 2, 1995, Thursday By STEVEN ERLANGER, (Special to The New York Times); Foreign Desk Late Edition - Final, Section A, Page 10, Column 1, 602 words

NEWS SUMMARY December 20, 1994, Tuesday (NYT); Metropolitan Desk Late Edition - Final, Section A, Page 2, Column 5, 914 words

THE WORLD; Up From Propaganda November 13, 1994, Sunday By STEVEN ERLANGER (NYT); Week in Review Desk Late Edition - Final, Section 4, Page 16, Column 1, 1226 words

Thousands in Moscow Mourn Journalist Killed in Blast October 21, 1994, Friday By STEPHEN KINZER, (Special to The New York Times); Foreign Desk Late Edition - Final, Section A, Page 8, Column 1, 652 words

STRUGGLE IN RUSSIA; YELTSIN, IN SPEECH, APPEALS FOR CALM AFTER 'NIGHTMARE' October 7, 1993, Thursday By CELESTINE BOHLEN, (Special to The New York Times); Foreign Desk Late Edition - Final, Section A, Page 1, Column 3, 1287 words

DISPLAYING ABSTRACT - In his first address to the nation since army tanks crushed an uprising against him, President Boris N. Yeltsin called on Russians today to put the "nightmare of these black days" behind them, and affirmed that elections to a new Parliament will be held Dec. 12. Mr. Yeltsin also ...

Answer: numerous articles in the NY Times in the 1990s covered murdered Russian journalists. From my short review two made the front page--one related to the 1993 coup and one related to the mob.

If anything not particularly covered was the murder of journalists in Chechnya--although the story is addressed on page 2 in December 20, 1994. A topic as far as I can tell that is not covered too often in general by the news media in the west and not too often focused upon by national liberation ideology on the left--not nearly as much as the Palestine issue.