[lbo-talk] RE: forthcoming book on Ann Coulter costs Reuters editor his job

Gary Mongiovi MONGIOVG at stjohns.edu
Mon Oct 9 13:02:43 PDT 2006

Hi. Thanks for the reply, Doug.What was puzzling to me is that Reuters could hardly have expected the book to be "balanced" in the sense of saying anything substantially positive about Coulter--as in, "Yes, she's over the top most of the time but once in a while she has a point that merits serious consideration." It must have been clear when the Maguire ran the project past his bosses that he was going to let her have it full throttle: what other stance can a sane person take in response to a nasty piece of work like Coulter? Unless the finished product is nearly as intemperate as Coulter's own stuff--which neither the E&P story nor your description suggests to be the case, and which anyway is probably humanly impossible--I don't see how there can have been a misunderstanding between Reuters & Maguire at the outset. Now this fellow's out of a job, when it seems to me that a forceful disclaimer distancing the author's views from that of his employer would have been a sensible resolution. Anyway, I was just curious if there was a backstory. Guess not.

Gary

Doug wrote:

"It's not a "balanced" treatment - it's very anti-Coulter, and Reuters probably doesn't like it. Not because it's critical of Coulter, but because it's partisan.

I set the book aside because it seemed like the same old stuff. But she really is a mad, violent-talking person. She says we should punish queers the same way the Taliban does, e.g.

Doug"