[lbo-talk] The Nation anguishes about AP

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 9 18:11:38 PDT 2006

Wojtek opined:

"I think it [leftists' support of Chechens but not Iranian Muslims] is indicative of a certain juvenile mindset or perhaps social status seeking, which ostensibly rejects the everyday conventions and espouses the weird, the shocking and the exotic. [...] The same is true about Islamism, Communism, radicalism etc. In his mind, everything that is shocking for his parents and teachers blurs into one undifferentiated category of 'Cool Stuff:' weird garb, loud music, Nazism, Islamism, Communism, Third World, drugs, sex, anything that is weird and unconventional. Such behavior is merely a sign of juvenile contumacy, and a normal part of growing up, not indicative of any reasoned political or ideological sympathies. The problem is that some people do not grow up until much later in their biological lives."

What, no Satanism?

Honestly, this is the weirdest explanation for leftists' sympathy for Chechens I have ever seen. You might have said it was leftists' penchant for favoring the underdog, and be done with it.

The funny thing about your statement at the end that "some people do not grow up until much later in their biological lives" is that you're probably writing that a few miles from John Waters's house. He's 60 this year.

-B.