[lbo-talk] Re: Scientistism

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Tue Oct 10 10:24:29 PDT 2006

I remember reading that Einstein didn't get the math either and that he had to have help on that.

One of the foundational myths of modern science, by the way, is that "Mathematics is the language of nature and that, therefore, if you don't speak math, you can't do science."

To forestall, a lot of churn, I should add that I am not contemptuous of measurement, or experiment, or mathematics. But the reality of science is that 1) it proceeds by intuitive leaps as much as it does by measurement/experiment and 2) the numbers are only a beginning (or sometimes a diversion) as they always have to be interpreted because when you run an experiment, you get all kinds of numbers, some of them you include in your data; some you don't.

Joanna