[lbo-talk] Why Richard Hofstadter Is Still Worth Reading but Notfor the Reasons the Critics Have in Mind

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 13:26:05 PDT 2006

Jesse

I think the book was called The intellectuals and McCarthy: the radical specter . Just a minor correction.

I read that book and Hofstadter more than 30 years ago when I was still in high school.

Please correct me Doug.

I accept Doug's defense of Hofstadter but I have to say in my memory Hofstadter did not even try to comprehend the Populist movement in the U.S. He was looking at Populism for roots of intellectual-cultural trends.

I think that the aftermath of fascism, the rise of the second Red Scare, and the currency of popular racism brought Hofstadter to emphasize mos forcely only one side of the Populists, the side that helped to explain current treds. It seems to me that the thesis of the time was that Populism led to the popular racism of the Dixiecrats and Hofstadter accepted that thesis.. Doug am I wrong that Hof simply accepted this? I think that this thesis is one sided to say the least.

And wasn't there a collective side to the Populists? At least in their beliefs about how finance capital should be regulated and in how there should be cooperative wholesale and retail distribution?

I don't remember Rogin's book concentrating on Hofstadter but I do remember the thesis that the post World War II red scare was driven by elites and that McCarthy was a late comer who only picked things up when he knew it could make his name.

My memory of both Hofstadter and Rogin could be completely wrong. My memory is often wrong.

Jerry

---------- Forwarded message ---------- From: Jesse Lemisch <utopia1 at attglobal.net> Date: Oct 10, 2006 3:32 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Why Richard Hofstadter Is Still Worth Reading but Notfor the Reasons the Critics Have in Mind To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org

Has anyone on this thread cited Michael Rogin's McCarthy and the Intellectuals, a rigorous study by an unfortunately prematurely dead Berkeley political scientist. This takes apart Hofstadter et al and shows that McCarthyism commenced in elites rather than from the grass roots. And James Weinstein and a collaborator had a classic article on how slow McCarthy was to pick up anti-Communism, becoming alerted to the issue in part by Norman Thomas.

Jesse Lemisch ----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Henwood" < dhenwood at panix.com>