[lbo-talk] Why Richard Hofstadter Is Still Worth Reading

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Oct 10 13:37:47 PDT 2006

On Oct 10, 2006, at 4:23 PM, Jesse Lemisch wrote:

> Well, I don't recall -- I'm sure Chip will -- whether it was
> Democratic or
> Republican elites

Well, it's kind of important. Much of what we call "the grassroots" in American politics isn't made up of the toiling masses - it's local worthies, like small-town bankers, real-estate brokers, lawyers, doctors, etc. Those are elites relative to the working class, but next to a CEO or hedge fund manager, they're punks.

Doug