[lbo-talk] Why Richard Hofstadter Is Still Worth Reading

Jesse Lemisch utopia1 at attglobal.net
Tue Oct 10 13:51:52 PDT 2006

Fair enough, Doug, but continuing the discussion of Hofstadter, the point of Rogin et al is that the orgins of "McCarthyism" (note the quotation marks) were not with what you call the "toiling masses." This offers the possibility that mass movements from below might be seen more optimistically than Hofstadter and his gang saw them. Relate to Daniel Bell's "pluralism," which is explicitly agreement among LEGITIMATE interests, rejecting popular participation.

Jesse Lemisch ----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Henwood" <dhenwood at panix.com> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 4:37 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Why Richard Hofstadter Is Still Worth Reading