[lbo-talk] Re: wackos infighting

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Wed Oct 11 20:43:21 PDT 2006

Doug Henwood wrote:

> <http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/TheNote/story?id=156238&page=3>
>
> In her look at Gov. Mitt Romney's (R-MA) Mormon religion, the Los
> Angeles Times' Elizabeth Mehren gets Ted Haggard, president of the
> National Association of Evangelicals, to say that evangelicals are
> "appalled" by customs such as marrying people after they have died
> and converting the dead. LINK
>
> More Haggard: "We evangelicals view Mormons as a Christian cult
> group. A cult group is a group that claims exclusive revelation. And
> typically, it's hard to get out of these cult groups. And so
> Mormonism qualifies as that."

In a world of wacky religions, the Utah Mormons really do stand out a bit-- the special underwear; the secret rooms in the temples; the unvarnished racism in the Book of Mormon; the battle of good and evil between the spirit-babies in heaven; and, not least, the notion that good Mormon men get to be God of their own planets someday.

Were I a conspiracy fan, I would think that Mormons invented Scientology, perhaps the only religion to involve hydrogen bombs in its creation myths, to make their own religion seem a bit saner.

--tim francis-wright

Tell us the story about the "white worm" now. I mean, wasn't a "white worm" involved with Joe Smith's epiphanies?

Best,

Mike B)

Read "Penguins in Bondage": http://happystiletto.blogspot.com/

--------------------------------- Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Make PC-to-Phone Calls to the US (and 30+ countries) for 2¢/min or less. -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20061011/df9bbb25/attachment.htm>