[lbo-talk] India's ban on child labor took effect Tuesday

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 11 22:18:56 PDT 2006

Well, do you think outlawing child labor in India is a good thing, or ... ?

I can only think of the US when it did the same thing (formally) years ago. There was no one outside the US, or within the US, to support the suddenly-unemployed kids -- but it happened anyway, and it was messy and imperfect and sloppy when it happened. Yes, different situation, different times. But overall I think it was a good thing. So -- what should be done? Let the kids in India work? Redistribution of wealth inside India? Grants to India from the outside to sustain these folks while infrastructure is developed, or ...? I'd support either of the two, honestly. I assume the reason the law was passed to begin with is because there's something distasteful about sending kids below the age of 15 to work their lives away.

-B.

Sujeet Bhatt wrote:

"In the absence of any social support mechanisms for these kids, a law like this is going to be virtually impossible to enforce. A question that nobody seems to have answered is who is going to support these now virtuously unemployed (and legally unemployable) kids. Santa Claus?"