[lbo-talk] Happiness

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 07:48:30 PDT 2006

Political stars are for once aligned all right for my scheme of things, from Iran to Venezuela, Lebanon to Brazil ("A survey by polling firm Ibope showed Lula with a 14-point advantage over former Sao Paulo Governor Geraldo Alckmin, while a Vox Populi survey gave Lula a 10-point lead before the runoff. The polls confirmed a Datafolha survey on Wednesday that gave Lula a 12-point lead with 56 percent of valid votes, against Alckmin's 44 percent" [Peter Blackburn, 13 Oct. 06, <http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=3&art_id=qw1160712720135B216>]), from Russia, China, to the 15th district of Ohio (of all places), where one of the few Democrats (cf. <http://www.kilroyforcongress.com/iraqwar.htm>) who do what I would call "constituency service for activists on the Left" is gaining on Deborah Pryce (in a race where no Green is running, so no conflict for me). It's as if the world were conspiring to make me happy.

COLUMBUS, Ohio, Oct. 11 — Representative Deborah Pryce is a former municipal court judge, a Republican and a member of the House leadership who has represented her central Ohio district for 14 years. She is also friends with Mark Foley, the congressman who resigned in the page scandal, as she told Columbus Monthly for a feature it published just last month.

Ms. Pryce always thought she would have a difficult re-election campaign this year in a state raked by Republican scandals. But since Mr. Foley quit, she said in an interview on a tense day of campaigning here, her own internal polls have measured a steady drop in support under the weight of attacks by Mary Jo Kilroy, her Democratic opponent.

Ms. Kilroy has emphasized Ms. Pryce's connections to Mr. Foley, who was on a list of five people Ms. Pryce said she considered Washington friends in the Columbus Monthly interview.

"I'm totally convinced," Ms. Pryce said, her voice faint, as she described why her support had declined. "All our polling showed we were going in the right direction until this happened. It fell precipitously."

"It's very sad that sometimes we're slipped up by things that we have no control over and have absolutely nothing to do with," she said. "But that is part and parcel of politics."

The contest, in which Ms. Pryce and Ms. Kilroy are now described as tied in internal party polls, has emerged as a case study of how the fallout from the Foley scandal is causing problems for Republicans across the country. But it is also unusual in a way that reflects the intriguing diversity of this central Ohio district, the 15th, and all the swirling complications of an explosive scandal that landed just four weeks before Election Day.</blockquote>

-- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>