[lbo-talk] US economic warfare

boddi satva lbo.boddi at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 13:01:12 PDT 2006

I'm going to take a position I know is a bit provocative here, but I really do think it's true in the long run:

The U.S. has every right and responsibility to make sure that bad actors are not included in the dollar-based financial system. The dollar isn't the world's currency, it belongs the to U.S. and the structure behind it is ours to choose.

There are other financial systems that places like Iran and North Korea can choose - there are efforts to develop a Muslim banking system and N.K. can always embed itself in the Chinese system. If neither of these options seem appealing, that's really just too bad for North Korea and Iran. They are appalling regimes and nobody should do business with them. And when you do business with people in Iran and especially North Korea, you are doing business with the regime.

We have to examine why it is that relatively peaceful countries (these days, anyway) like those in Europe can develop a multi-national currency system that people trust and use and yet the Muslim nations cannot. At the end of the day there are objective standards of financial trustworthiness here. Do you pay your debts? Does your legal system provide recourse when your people don't pay their debts.

Say what you want about the U.S. (and I'll probably agree) but if a US financial actor doesn't pay a debt he gets sued, no matter how powerful that actor is, whereas in other countries there are systems with effectively (sometimes overtly) give powerful institutions immunity from civil claims. The civil court system here in the U.S. may not be a democracy as such, but it is certainly about as democratic as they come, especially in its treatment of foreign plaintiffs. I am not suggesting that it is a paragon of virtue and of course it exists to keep the peace among capitalists, not regular citizens, still the people of the U.S. invest a lot of money and resources into keeping our financial system open and accessible and regimes like Tehran and Pyongyang certainly do not deserve access to such a system.

I would be happy if MORE restrictions were placed on the U.S. financial system when it comes to foreign regimes. And if the U.S. system goes too far, well, that forces nations to consider how to come to terms with a multi-national currency system like the Euro. And North Korea and Iran would NEVER be accepted into such a system, as they are now constituted.

Boddi