[lbo-talk] India's ban on child labor took effect Tuesday

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 14 08:26:42 PDT 2006

B. wrote:

"Why do you think the law was enacted, then?"

Sujeet Bhatt wrote:

"Partly wishful thinking, I guess. A desire to project a 'progressive' image. International 'peer pressure'. A combination of all of these."

Joanna wrote:

"And then, of course, there's always money to be made when something becomes illegal."

Well, okay, but at the end of the day I am not thinking, "Man, it sure does suck that child labor was banned in India." Child labor wasn't comprehensively banned in the US until 1938, and up until then in bits and pieces, state by state, and there were arguments that it'd hurt families who needed the kids to be working. No doubt that was unfortunately the truth, but there are always arguments to that effect when it comes to dramatic new regulations affecting labor -- the enactment of a federally-set minimum wage in the US in 1938 was supposed to make the economy collapse, etc.

I'm sure this Indian law didn't just come out of nowhere -- there have to be Indian labor & human rights activists that were agitating for this? (Maybe http://www.commondreams.org/news2004/0622-03.htm ?) It seems like a huge step forward for the largest democratic republic on earth. Below is something from globalmarch.org.

-B.

Top Cine Stars of Bollywood Join "From WORK to SCHOOL" Campaign

New Delhi, 6 October 2006 - Bachpan Bachao Andolan (Global March Core Partner in India) in association with PVR Cinemas and other partners is pleased to launch a nation-wide campaign "From Work to School" for the effective implementation of Government of India's recent notification banning the employment of children in homes and in the hospitality sector. The month long campaign was launched on the 6th October BBA's long standing friend and doyen of India's film industry, Shri Mahesh Bhatt and actress and former Miss India, Gul Panag.

BBA chairperson Kailash Satyarthi remarked, "We welcome the government for its decision to prohibit employment of children as domestic servants and in tea-shops and dhabas, etc. This is a major step forward in recognition of the "invisible" slavery of the child domestic labourers and a movement to end all forms of child labour by the government. It is important that this new notification is taken as an important tool to bring all children out of labour and provide free compulsory primary education to all. It is important that the govt. follows this step with rigorous implementation of law and effective steps for rehabilitation of children."