[lbo-talk] Let's Build

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Oct 14 08:36:00 PDT 2006

On Oct 14, 2006, at 4:09 AM, James Heartfield wrote:

> "Wow, James, have you spent much time touring the U.S. landscape, what
> Kunstler calls the geography of nowhere? It's soul-destroyingly
> hideous."
>
> If you mean that Americans are hideous, I cannot agree with you. I
> read the news of 300 000 000 Americans as a good thing. And where
> else should they live but in houses?

No I meant the physical landscape. Lots of Americans are very fat, but we're not uglier than other people, and a scopophile can have a lot of fun on the streets of many American cities. And I'm not a population-phobe either. I was referring to the endless parade of hideous strip malls, condo developments, exurban big box stores plopped down in the middle of nowhere, etc. Hideous, alienating, and horribly wasteful.

Doug