[lbo-talk] Let's Build

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 15 10:55:19 PDT 2006

>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>
>On Oct 14, 2006, at 4:09 AM, James Heartfield wrote:
>
>>If you mean that Americans are hideous, I cannot agree with you. I read
>>the news of 300 000 000 Americans as a good thing. And where else should
>>they live but in houses?
>
>No I meant the physical landscape. Lots of Americans are very fat, but
>we're not uglier than other people ...

[But according to the latest findings, we *are* dumber, viz.:]

The greater your weight, the lower your IQ, say scientists By Nina Goswami (Filed: 15/10/2006)

It is bad for your blood pressure, knocks years off your life and is a strain on your heart. Now scientists have discovered that gaining weight lowers your intelligence.

The findings follow last week's government figures that show Britain as the "fat man" of Europe, with nearly a quarter of adults and more than 14 per cent of children under 16 classified as obese.

The new five-year study of more than 2,200 adults claims to have found a link between obesity and the decline in a person's cognitive function. The research, conducted by French scientists, which is published in this month's Neurology journal, involved men and women aged between 32 and 62 taking four mental ability tests that were then repeated five years later.

The researchers found that people with a Body Mass Index – a measure of body fat – of 20 or less could recall 56 per cent of words in a vocabulary test, while those who were obese, with a BMI of 30 or higher, could remember only 44 per cent.

The fatter subjects also showed a higher rate of cognitive decline when they were retested five years later: their recall dropped to 37.5 per cent, whereas those with a healthy weight retained their level of recall. ...

<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml;jsessionid=5KDWXGDOBWLSDQFIQMFSFF4AVCBQ0IV0?xml=/news/2006/10/15/nweight15.xml>

Carl